Performance Management Certificate
The Strategic Performance Management in the Public Sector Certificate (SPM) program is a professional development certificate designed for individuals in public and nonprofit organizations (both leading executives and frontline employees), and citizens interested in the functions of public sector performance measurement.
This certificate is designed and faciliated by Rutgers University lecturers and researchers. The program covers four core areas, listed below, that will give students a well rounded understanding of performance measurement and management as well as the practical skills ncecessary to implement such a system in their own organization.
Contact us at RutgersNCPP@gmail.com
How it works:
- Students enroll in a 10 week training course covering the practical aspects of designing a performance system as well as tools you can use to help create a performance oriented culture in your organization. The course is 100% online. Each week, students will be provided with:
- Lecture video(s) (between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours)
- Required readings
- Optional readings
- Applied exercises
- Discussion board topics for group discussion
- Each week opens at noon on Sunday. A discussion board post is due by Wednesday and the weekly exercise is due the following Sunday evening. The instructor provides direct feedback on your work and contributes to the discussion board. We encourage students to ask questions about their work and course material via the discussion board or directly to the instructor via email or phone. Each week is designed to take between 3 and 4 hours of total work on the part of the student.
- The core SPM course is facilitated by Rutgers University instructors. Each of the first 8 weeks contains a unique set of material on a different component of performance and the final two weeks are dedicated to working on the final assignments which are a summative exercise as well as a written blog post regarding a performance related project of your choosing. Students are asked to use a program or problem from their current organization for their exercises and they are also required to bring their organizations current strategic/performance plan or find one from an organization that interests them.
- Due to the international nature of the cohorts, students are not required to be “in-class” at any particular time during the week. You can work through the material at your own pace during the week.
Performance Management and Government:
Strategic Planning for Performance Management:
- Creating a culture of performance
- Stakeholder buy-in
- Overcoming psychological barriers to performance in government
- Overcoming political barriers to performance
Measuring and Reporting Performance:
- Logic models and performance
- Stakeholder analysis
- Ensuring longevity of performance systems
- Developing and following organization missions
- Creating relevant objectives/targets
- Selecting reliable performance indicators
- Operationalizing your goals
- Data visualizing
- Effective reporting
- Turning your data into action
- Testing your indicators and measuring results
- Re-thinking organizational reform
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I speak directly with the instructor?
- Yes! We encourage you to ask questions regarding the material and all other performance related topics. Instructors are available via email, phone, or Skype.
- What if I do not currently work at an organization with a strategic plan or am unemployed? How can I complete the assignments?
- Absolutely. You can choose s strategic/performance plan from an organization that interests you or where you previously worked. You can use a hypothetical or real program from this organization for your assignments.
- I work full time and have family/personal obligations. How can I request timeline extensions or accommodations?
- Just let the instructor know and they will work with you to adjust due dates as necessary.
- When I register, how do I log into the course?
- After you register for the course, you will receive an email receipt of payment. The week before class begins, you will receive an email from your instructor with login information for the online learning system. We use an online learning system called "Blackboard." Your username will be unique to Blackboard but your password will be the same as the one your set up when registering for the course. If you would like to double-check your registration or any course details, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- $1,100 per student
- Register 3 or more students from same organization, receive 20% discount
- All students, upon registration, receive unlimited access to all 3 electives.
- This tuition covers all costs. No additional fees for books.
*Registration information will be made available prior to opening of course registration.